The River Valley District Library serves 5,176 residents in northern Rock Island County, Illinois. Our growing, culturally diverse district along the Rt. 84 corridor next to the Mississippi River and includes all or portions of the following townships: Port Byron, Coe, Zuma (including all or parts of Port Byron Village, Rapid City, East Hampton, Cordova). The River Valley District Library provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual preference, genetic information, or any other segmenting factor protected by law.
To apply for any open position: Please send resume, cover letter, and completed application via e-mail to Natalie Bazan, firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line. All application documents must be submitted electronically.
CustodianHours: 10-15 hour/week
Open until December 20th, 2017
Under the general supervision of the Library Director, performs a wide variety of custodial and maintenance duties in and around the library facility; troubleshoots and performs minor repairs; works closely with employees and the public to meet the custodial needs of the area; and resolves problems to ensure efficient and safe operations. Performs other duties as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Schedules, coordinates, and performs routine and comprehensive custodial maintenance of the library.
- Vacuums, shampoos and spot cleans carpets and furniture; washes windows; dusts furniture.
- Removes trash and recycling in accordance with established procedures.
- Cleans and disinfects restrooms, elevator, vestibule, staff rooms, kitchen, equipment, and desks; orders and stocks facilities with paper and supplies.
- Performs various maintenance and custodial duties such as repair to fixtures in restrooms.
- Replaces a variety of light bulbs and lighting accessories.
- Identifies stains and uses proper chemicals for removal.
- Performs minor grounds keeping duties, such as sweeping leaves off sidewalks.
- Maintains inventory and submits written requests for supplies.
- Operates equipment such as vacuum and shampooer.
A. Training and Experience
High school diploma or GED equivalent required. One year of custodial experience with blood borne pathogens training certification preferred.
B. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of maintaining, cleaning and preserving a variety of surfaces; proper use of a wide range of chemicals according to state and federal regulations; handling and disposing of hazardous materials and blood borne pathogens with care.
Skill in stain identification and using chemicals in a safe manner.
Ability to safely dispose of hazardous materials; identify stains and use proper chemicals for their removal; operate manual and power equipment; work effectively in and around the public; perform physical labor; understand and carry out oral and written directions with limited supervision; maintain cooperative working relationships with other library staff.
C. Physical Demands
Must be able to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to, lifting and moving heavy items (up to 50 lbs. unassisted), bending, standing, climbing or walking. Must be able to work safely in an environment containing caustic chemicals, cleaning materials, dust and noise. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.