FOIA PolicyFreedom of Information Act
The mission of the River Valley District Library, located at 214 S. Main St, Port Byron, IL 61275 is to provide materials and services for the recreational, social, informational, and educational needs of the community. There are 5 full time and 5 part time employees working at the Library.
A copy of the annual operating budget is available to view. Funding sources include property and personal property replacement taxes, state and federal grants, fines, fees, and donations. Tax levies are:
- Corporate (for general operating expenditures)
- Social Security (provides for employee’s FICA costs and related expenses)
- Audit (for annual audit and related expenses)
- Maintenance (for maintaining the building and equipment)
- Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF)
- Workman’s Compensation
- Unemployment Insurance
- Insurance Liability (for insurance premiums, risk management, attorney’s fees and related expenses, unemployment and worker’s compensation insurance)
The River Valley District Library Board of Library Trustees exercises control over Library policies and procedures. They meet the 3rd Monday of the month at 5:30pm in the upstairs Community Room of the Library.
The Illinois State Library and Illinois Secretary of State’s Office exercise control over the Library’s operations.
To request information and records available to the public:
- Use the Freedom of Information Request Form.
- Direct the request to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Specify the records requested for inspection or copying and which, if any, require certification.
- Pay $.50/page for copied and $1.00/page for certified records.
The Library will respond to a written request within seven (7) working days or sooner if possible. An extension of an additional seven (7) working days may be necessary to properly respond.
Records may be inspected or copied. If inspected, an employee must be present throughout the inspection.
An appeal of the decision of the FOIA officer may be made to the Board of Library Trustees.
Records are available at the River Valley District Library from 9:00am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.
Certain types of information are exempt from inspection or copying. However, the following records are maintained under the Library’s control and available to the public:
- Monthly Financial Statements
- Annual Receipts and Disbursements Reports
- Budget and Appropriation Ordinances
- Levy Ordinances
- Operating Budgets
- Annual Audits and Reviews
- Minutes of the Board of Library Trustees
- Library Policies
- Annual Reports to the Illinois State Library
Revised 8-12, Updated 7-13, Updated 4/25/16, 11/20/17
Click here for a link to our Freedom of Information Request Form